Palmier fountain was erected in honor of the victories of Napoleon Bonaparte, and was used to provide fresh drinking water to the city's population. The largest fountain, built during the reign of Napoleon, and there ponyne.Fontan was one of a series of fifteen fountains commissioned by Napoleon in 1806, Interior Minister Emmanuel Kretetu. He has developed a engineer, François-Jean Brallem, who headed the department in Paris fountains and water supply during the First Empire. The fountain was completed in 1808 godu.Kolonna, modeled on the Roman triumphal column, takes its name from the sculptures of palm leaves on top in honor of Napoleon's victory in the Egyptian campaign. The bands on the column bronze pays tribute victories Napoleon siege Danzig (1807), the Battle of Ulm (1805), the Battle of Marengo (1800), the Battle of pyramids (1798) and battle Lodi (1796).In the upper portion of the column is a statue Victory made of gilded bronze, bearing wreaths of victory.