> San Diego County
Located in Campo, San Diego County, Camp Lockett was a World War II Mexican border African-American cavalry post established in 1941. The 11th Cavalry Regiment came there two days after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. In 1942, the 10th Cavalry Regiment (the famed Buffalo Soldiers) moved into Camp Lockett to replace the 11th Cavalry Regiment which had been converted into an armored unit. In 1943 The 28th Cavalry Regiment made up of inductees joined the 10th to form the 4th Cavalry Brigade of the 2nd Cavalry Division (Horse). In 1944, the 9th, 10th, 27th and 28th were dismounted and sent to North Africa. Soon after their arrival all four regiments were made inactive and converted into service troops. This marked the end of the horse cavalry in the United States Army. The 28th, through an error was not officially inactivated until 1951. This makes Camp Lockett the last home of the last horse cavalry in the US Army. This image shows a view of one of the Camp's buildings.