> New York
> Manhattan Community Board 7
The building more familiarly known as Mount Neboh Synagogue existed only 56 years. It was built in 1927-28 for the Unity Synagogue, as designed by Walter S. Schneider. Unity Synagogue was formed by the merger of Congregation Peni-El of 525 West 147th Street, and Congregation Mount Zion of 37 West 119th Street. The newly created synagogue was short-lived, however, and the building was acquired in 1930 by Mount Neboh Synagogue, which had been located since 1917 at 562 West 150th Street. In 1978, the synagogue went out of existence and the building was purchased by the Crossroads Seventh-day Adventist Church, which remained until 1981. The New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission designated the building in 1982, despite objections by the church owners. After much public controversy over the survival of this building, the Commission decided that the designation had caused an undue financial hardship, and allowed the building to be razed in 1984.