> Santa Clara County
> San Jose
Stereoscopic image of a school building on Reed street. There is a large courtyard and a group of students standing by the front door. Margaret Street between 6th and 7th streets. The transcript reads, "Reed St. School San Jose, Cal. now called Lowell Schools California Room 280".The original Reed School was located on Reed Street in the downtown area. It was named in honor of James Frazier Reed, a community leader in the early days of San Jose. The Reed family settled on a 500-acre ranch between First Street and Coyote Creek, in what is now downtown San Jose. Subsequent division of the land in 1849 resulted in the naming of Reed, Margaret, Virginia, Martha, Carrie, Patterson, Lewis, and Keyes Streets in honor of Reed family members. The present day Reed School at 1524 Jacob Avenue was opened in 1959 on approximately nine acres adjoining Ross Creek near the Robertsville area of San Jose.