The founder of the business was John Newstead c1835-1913. He came to Ely after serving with the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers, with whom he saw service in India during the Indian mutiny. On leaving the army, he came to Ely as the Bishops butler, and lived in a house called "Lucknow" which is still standing in Downham Road Ely on the corner with Upherds Lane. In 1888 he left the Bishop's service to open his own fish, Poultry and Game business in the small single story building on Butter Market, shown in this the photograph, where by this time it is shown as P Newstead. Percy Newstead was John's son and is seen here with bowler hat, moustache and rabbit in hand. Before following his father into the business, Percy had been a professional Rackets player living in London, the young Winston Churchill had been one of his pupils.