History Christ Church was commissioned in 1841 to serve the growing population of the suburb of Turnham Green who found it inconvenient to walk to St Nicholas Church by the River Thames. The building cost £6,900, the Church Building Commissioners contributed £500 under the Church Building Act 1818, and therefore Christ Church is deemed a Commissioners' church. A re-ordering took place in the early 1990s, during which the pews were removed and replaced with discrete chairs, and the floor concreted and carpeted. In 2000 the west bays were converted, under the supervision of architect Ian Goldsmith, into two-storey community rooms. Architecture The church was designed in the Gothic revival style by Sir George Gilbert Scott and his partner William Moffatt, construction was completed in 1843. In 1887 the chancel was extended and given the current square eastern end under architect James Brooks.