> Los Angeles County
> San Fernando
Photograph caption dated August 14, 1954 reads, "Historic street - San Fernando road, formerly Porter avenue, was originally named for Valley pioneer George K. Porter who farmed the northerly half of the Valley in early days. Renamed San Fernando road, it presents an entirely different view than when it was a narrow, unpaved road with space for hitching horses rather than lines marked off for parking of motor vehicles. Looking easterly toward Brand boulevard from Maclay avenue, also named for the city's founder, Sen. Charles Maclay, are seen many of the business establishments participating in the Dollar Day sale Aug. 20 and 21.