The Place Royale in Brussels, circa 1890-1900 and 2018. The neoclassical central square is located on the Coudenberg, a small hill on which used to be the Coudenberg Palace. It was built from 1773 to 1780 according to the plans of the French architect Barnabé Guimard. The main building is the church of Saint Jacques-sur-Coudenberg built at the same time, the other side of the place is flanked by the Brussels Museum of Fine Arts. In the middle stands an equestrian statue of Gottfried von Bouillon, the leader of the first crusade in 1096.