> New York
> Manhattan Community Board 8
According to all reports, the building was located at 210 East 86th Street, that is, a block from Lexington Avenue Not a casino like we think of today, it was a social center for the German community. It was erected in 1904 at 210 East 86th Street by the Musician’s Mutual Protective Union (the precursor to the American Federation of Musicians). One of its two main ballrooms, the Tuxedo, had more than 15,000 square feet of floor space and was one of the most popular nightclubs in the city. The casino then welcomed the Deutsches Theater, which was the only movie theater in the city to show German-language films.