The Paris Law Court on the Ile de la Cité in 1870. As today, it harboured France's most important law institutions. Close beside stands the Sainte-Chapelle, the chapel of the former medieval royal palace which was located at this place. It was built in the 13th century to keep the holy crusade relics. A masterpiece of Gothic architecture, it is particularly famous for its huge stained glass windows. Only one year after the old photo was taken, the mighty palace of justice was set on fire by the insurrectionary Paris Commune.