> Los Angeles County
This view taken from the S.S. Catalina docked at the Avalon at the pleasure pier (instead of the landing used today) on Santa Catalina Island captures businesses including the 1920s Hotel Atwater (right) located at 125 Sumner Street, as well as the Spanish architecture of the pier buildings, and some recreational boating in the harbor. The Spanish style building at the end of the pier no longer exists. In February 1909, the Freeholders Improvement Association of Avalon got permission from the war Department to build a pleasure wharf, constructed and maintained by the Santa Catalina Island Company. In 1914, the Green Pleasure Pier was transferred to the City of Avalon. Today, the 407-foot pier is home to the Catalina Island Chamber of Commerce Visitors Center as well as restaurants, tours and other activities. The S.S. Catalina, known as "The Great White Steamer," was laid down on December 26, 1923, christened on May 3, 1924, and took its maiden voyage on June 30, 1924.