Rue de l'École Polytechnique seen from Place Larue at the junction with Rue de la Montagne Sainte-Geneviève. The street takes its name from the École Polytechnique, a French elite school. It was founded in 1794 and was located here in the 5th arrondissement (the corner of the wall on the right belongs to the former building). In 1976, the École moved from the Latin Quarter of Paris to Palaiseau, about 30 kilometers southwest of the city. The area is close to many schools and universities and is popular for students and tourists.