> Grand Est
The Hôtel de Vauluisant is one of the few stone houses from the middle of the 16th century in Troyes. It was named after a refuge house that was previously on this site and belonged to the Cistercian monastery of Vauluisant in the Yonne department. Its richly decorated facade with gables, decorative frames, angels and garlands is typical of Renaissance architecture. In the 17th and 18th centuries, the building received a sort of framework of two turrets, one of which was equipped with a spiral staircase. The cone roofs carry elegant gable ears, at the end of which a sun and a moon are attached. The house was bought by the city in 1932 to house a museum of handicrafts. Today, it houses two museums: the Museum of Art of the City of Troyes and the Knitwear Museum.