The Palace des Tuileries and the Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel around 1865. The Tuileries Palace, opposite to the Louvre, was built in the 16th and 17th centuries and was the seat of the French kings until 1871. The arch was built from 1806 to 1808 at the behest of Napoleon. Today the splendid palace has disappeared - during the Paris Commune in 1871, it was burned out and the ruins demolished in 1883. Today it is replaced by the Jardin des Tuileries.