> North Holland
> Bergen (NH)
This church was build after 1422 on the location of an older chapel and burned down by the Geuzen (soldiers) on February 21 1574 during the Eighty Years' War as a Scorched-earth tactic to prevent the Spaniards of resuming the Siege of Alkmaar. It also saw war when the Russian and British armies fought against the French that occupied the Netherlands in 1799. Bullet holes from this war can still be found in the walls of the church. A restoration took place in the period 1955-1961, which can be seen from the differences between the images.