> Los Angeles County
> Los Angeles
The Southwest Museum looms on the hill over the interesting gardens and fountains of the Casa de Adobe. Charles F. Lummis founded the Southwest Museum in 1907. The collections were housed in two temporary spaces until 1914 when the architectural firm of Hunt and Burns completed the Spanish Colonial Revival style Southwest Museum building located at 234 Museum Drive in Highland Park. In 1920, the same firm designed a Mayan Revival style entry tunnel from Museum Drive. The museum was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. In 2003 the Autry Museum of Western Heritage merged with the Southwest Museum creating the Autry National Center. The landmark closed in 2006 for rehabilitation and reopened in 2012. The Casa de Adobe, located below the Southwest Museum at 4605 N. Figueroa Street, was completed in 1918 by the Hispanic Society of California and donated to the museum in 1925.