> Los Angeles County
> Los Angeles
A man can be seen walking along one side of the Convento Building, also known as the "Long Building", and adjacent smaller structures. The Convento Building is a large two-story building measuring approximately 243 feet long and 50 feet wide, and was built in stages between 1808 and 1822. It has a broad portico extending the whole length of the building, four-foot-thick adobe walls, visible rafters, and a roof of burnt tile. The long portico, sometimes referred to as the colonnade, has 21 Roman arches along the front of the building (not visible from this angle) and is the most recognized image of the Mission. The Convento Building was, and still is, the largest adobe structure in California and is also the largest original building in California's missions. It was damaged in the 1971 earthquake and has just re-opened. Photograph dated July 7, 1973.